Tuesday, April 3, 2007

How Not to Get a Job

Some time ago, I blogged about connecting with your passion to find the best job opportunity for you, and also about innovation in recruiting techniques that enable companies to find these passionate people.

In an interesting, and unintentionally humorous, example of what *NOT* to do, a colleague actually received this cover letter from a job applicant today:

To Whom It May Concern:

This is an opportunity I've been searching for. I carefully have been selecting what Company’s to send my Resume. I’m honored to send my resume to your Company and possibly be considered as a team member. My skills along with personality make a perfect match for what you’re seeking. I look forward to meeting with you to discuss my future with your company. I'm confident, coach able, persistent, and consistent in achieving success independently or with a company that has a positive direction. Please call me so we can discuss a time to meet.


While I have no idea what this person's situation is, or how qualified he is for the position, this is a letter that is guaranteed to lead to failure. What was astounding was that it came through a recruiter! How could this have made it past even the most cursory due diligence? While this is obviously an extreme example, I've seen more polished cover letters that say essentially the same thing. Where's the passion?